What’s the best way to clean sex toys?
Proper cleaning of sex toys is essential to avoid bacterial infection or transmission of STIs. While some STIs die once the fluid they live in dries, others (such as hepatitis and scabies) can live for weeks or months outside of the body. If you want to prevent pregnancy, it is also important to be remove sperm that may be on the sex toy before using near or in the vagina.
It’s important to keep the instructions for cleaning the sex toy and to follow them carefully. If you feel that cleaning the toy properly would be too time consuming or unrealistic for you, think about buying a different toy. The information provided below gives a general overview for cleaning different types of toys and isn’t meant to replace the manufacturer’s instructions.
For basic toy care, remove any batteries. Never submerge electrical components in water. Use a damp, soapy washcloth to clean your electric toys, preferably with anti-bacterial soap. Keep toys stored in a container or pouch (to keep them clean) and in a cool, dry place.
Cleaning non-porous materials: glass, stainless steel, hard plastic, and silicone
- Glass: Wash glass toys with soap and water. Pyrex toys are dishwasher safe. Do not expose glass to extreme temperatures.
- Stainless Steel: If attached to an electrical device, use warm soapy water, being careful not to submerge any electrical components. If there are no electrical components you have 3 options: Boil or soak in a bleach-water solution (50:50 ratio) for 10 minutes, or place it in the dishwasher.
- Hard Plastic: Clean with anti-bacterial soap and water. Do not boil.
- Silicone: You can choose from 3 options to clean a silicone toy. Either boil for 5-10 minutes, put it in your dishwasher (on top rack), or wash with anti-bacterial soap and warm water. Do not boil silicone vibrators because you will destroy the vibrator mechanism.
Cleaning porous materials: rubber, vinyl, cyberskin, nylon, and leather
- Rubber materials: Rubber materials are porous and difficult to clean. In addition, their composition is not always known or may contain phthalates, chemicals which have been shown to be harmful to your health. For these reasons, it is recommended to use condoms with these types of toys.
- Cyberskin and Vinyl: Cyberskin is soft and porous, often used for dildos. Wash cyberskin and vinyl toys delicately with warm water only. Air dry and powder a small amount with cornstarch to keep them from getting sticky.
- Nylon: Nylon harnesses and toys can be machine or hand washed with a mild anti-bacterial soap.
- Leather: Wipe leather products with a damp, soapy cloth or with leather cleaner. Do not soak leather. After cleaning, you may recondition your toy using a leather conditioner. Protect metal parts from tarnish by applying a coating of clear nail polish.
How we clean our sex machines
Our machines are cleaned thoroughly when they are returned to us using a bleach solution followed by treatment with Chemgene HLD4H which is a Medical High Level Disinfectant intended for cleansing and disinfecting of hard surfaces. It is a Bactericidal, Virucidal, Fungicidal and Sporicidal disinfectant. This ensures that our machines stay fresh and clean ready for you.